Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Warm Hearts & Warm Soups

Feeling more back to normal today! Hooray! Still taking it easy. As much as the return to job hunting hurts and makes me sad, this song warms my heart....
                                             "We put out feet just where they had to go."

And this soup I am making tonight helps as well. My version of Minestrone, tweaked from different recipes. Not sure how many servings...as long as you can make it last or for a chilly night with a circle of friends.

Ingredients

-1-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 small onion chopped
-1/4 of a zucchini chopped
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 cup of frozen mixed veggies (the one with green beans, corn and carrots)
-1 can unsalted tomatoes chopped
-1 carton of veggie broth (or 4-5 cups)
-1 can of Kidney Beans
-1 can of small white beans
(You can add any other veggies that may suit you. I will be adding a peeled and chopped raw potato. )
-1 1/2 tsp. oregano
-2 tbsp. minced parsley
-1 1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp ground pepper
-1/2 tsp. dried basil
-1/4 tsp. thyme
-If your broth starts to thin out, add water (possibly 3 cups)
-1 cup spinach
(The noodles are your call, I would probably cook a 1/4 box of whole wheat spiral noodles and stir them in at the end of the soup's cooking. It all depends how noodle-y you like your soups)

Directions

-Saute veggies, everything except the spinach (until the onion turns clear)
-Add broth, tomatoes, beans, spices and the extra water
-Bring to a boil and cover, cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
-Add the spinach and cook for another 20 minutes (uncovered)
-Cozy up and Enjoy!

                                 A picture my dad sent me in an email, if you know the source
                                                                       please do share! =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm plagued with a pretty nasty cold myself. Ugh. Bravo to you for cooking! All I can do is whine, drink tea, and complain about my tea water getting cold. Luckily there was a marathon of "Our Gang" on TMC today and Aaron Rose's Beautiful Losers is online @ Netflix. It must be my lucky day, because I rarely ever watch the tube. Hope you get to feeling better, Miss Amelia!

    ReplyDelete