Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dinner For One

Well, my goal was to update everyday but unfortunately a winter cold I caught has gotten in my way. I have been in a haze of trying to apply for jobs, 'Sex & the City', and napping.
                                                          From My 1920s Vogue
                                                 From my book about the Ziegfeld Follies

In my comatose sick state I have been making pesto pasta with whatever veggies I have around. I love fresh vegetables (although they are hard to find in NYC, especially fresh fruit!) but my secret weapon is the frozen veggie. They don't go bad and you can make them last however long you want, and they still have the same nutrients. Something my sister told me, that I have been trying, is keeping fresh garlic in the freezer. It keeps it from going bad and still tastes and works just fine.
This recipe is for one person. You can tweak it or add whatever vegetables you like to tailor it to your taste, this is just how I have been making it.

Pesto

In a small cup:
- 1/2 tbsp. dry basil
- Heaping 1/4 tbsp dry parsley
- Dash of oregano, salt, garlic powder, & black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Mix well. If the mixture seems a bit thick, add a dash more of olive oil or water.

Pasta

- 3/4 cup of dry spiral noodles. Cook by box instructions.

 Vegetables

- Stir fry vegetables with olive oil spray. I use about 1/4 of a small white onion, 3/4 cup of frozen spinach. Lately I have also added chopped small red tomatoes, and finely sliced red pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash. I also include two minced cloves of garlic.
- Cook until onions start to become see through/ slightly browned. I then throw in a handful of pine nuts and cook for a minute or two more.
 (the whole stir frying operation takes about 10 minutes. I generally do it while I am cooking the pasta)

 Finishing Touches!


- Mix the vegetables with the pasta and drizzle with the pesto. I also like to sprinkle on nutritional yeast. (You can also use parmesan)
- Enjoy!!!!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment