Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Henna Hair

So, I am a huge Karen Elson fan as well as a fan of any other lovely lady with gorgeous red hair. I read in Lula magazine a few months back that Karen Elson gets that lovely shade of red from henna.(Christina Hendricks and Lucille Ball are/were also henna enthusiasts) Thus began my 'quest for red hair' obsession. Henna is awesome because it works with your natural hair color and is not full of chemicals (it even conditions your hair).
                                                                 Karen Elson
                                                            Christina Hendricks
                                                                 Lucille Ball

Tomorrow is going to be my relaxing henna hair day but I always make it the night before. I use about 200 grams of Henna and mix it with Celestial Seasonings 'Red Zinger' tea. (I use a cup or less of water and like 5 tea bags so it is very red/thick) I also add a few drops of tea tree oil and a dash of cloves. You want the consistency to be like yogurt. Then I cover it and let it sit over night and in the morning add a bit of lemon juice and then apply to my hair. Then I cover my head with plastic wrap and let it sit for about 3 hours. I have done it a few times with different mixes, it is all a matter of trial and error. This mix is proving to be my favorite. I suggest you check out this site if you are serious about hennaing your hair. I also suggest you do a test hair sample to be sure it is a color you want to live with. (it takes 3 days after you henna for the final color to oxidize and be set)

When Henna shopping I try to go for the freshest stuff. I get mine at an Indian grocery store. (my new favorite in NY is Kalustyans)  Be weary of the kind that comes in boxes that have been sitting for a long time. Also be careful what kind you buy online. If the henna is too old it is not going to dye your hair.

Set aside a day to relax, enjoy and pamper yourself since this is a lengthy process.

Have a happy henna hair day!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooo, Funny that you mention this, I've been thinking about doing it for a while! However, I've never known anyone else brave enough to try it. My natural color is dark brown, so I'm guessing it might turn out kind of auburn... I got the color from Earth Fare (it's basically like whole foods) that said "burgundy". I looked at the sight. Some of those girls have amazing hair... and some of them, not so great. I definitely want to avoid anything that looks cherry coke-esque. What is your natural color... and if not brown, have you known anyone with brown hair that tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the best color, don't use henna that says it is specifically for hair or has color in it! (it means it has chemicals other then henna and can fade to weird shades, 100% body art quality is the best)
    My hair was brown, I will try and get a good picture of it in the sun and post it on here later today. (it does make it auburn, a better auburn with lemon juice)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to me I sound all scientific!!
    I just did a ton of research before I did it because I did not know anyone else who had done it. I was scared my hair would end up like some of those not so good color ones on the site. Take hair from your brush, make a little henna and test it on that first! (then you know for sure what you are getting yourself into)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay! I think I'm gonna do it... Right now I have my natural color, which is dark brown, and the ends are red. It used to be ombre, but then I decided the blonde wasn't really jivin'. I can't handle that much fun. Thus, red. I probably won't have enough time until next week... Eeeeee! Gingerness pending. Alright, well let me know if you think of anything else i need to know.

    ReplyDelete